Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default wet phone

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:09:52 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 08:39:29 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa
wrote:

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 10:07:36 AM UTC-5, danny burstein wrote:
[snip of the rice suggestion. Also hair dryers..]

A basic air flow from any type of fan, including sitting
it in the vent of an air conditioner or a spare 12VDC
computer fan, or pretty much anything, will work every
bit as well as a hot air stream (from that hair dryer).

It just means taking a bit longer.

I worked for a company that maintained POS systems for Walgreen (when they were in IL mainly, before they expanded nationally). If we had repair PCB's that had smoke, rodent or bug feces, or spills...it was common practice to hot water power wash (not high pressure) and compressor air dry. I had and never heard of a board not surviving the procedure.

The problem with wet phones is they are usually powered on and
something fries on the board. The only good news is the flash card and
the SIM card usually survive. I found one on the beach that had been
in the water for quite a while but I was able to read the flash card
and find out enough to get it to the original owner.

I should say that that was nice of you.

It was more a "note in a bottle" moment than actually returning
anything of real value. It was in the water for weeks.