Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wet phone

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 05:10:42 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 6:00:34 AM UTC-4, Seymore4Head wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 01:37:06 -0400, micky
wrote:

I know we've heard this before but here is a first-hand story, at least
for me.

A friend writes:

Phone didn't work, even though battery had substantial charge.

At the T-Mobile service center, the rep opened the phone and showed me
that it was wet inside. Why? When I turned on the water at the
fountain, there was a surge that thoroughly doused my pants and sport
jacket. Even though the phone was in my shirt pocket underneath the
jacket and was partially protected by a rubberized case. enough water
managed to seep in to cause the phone to malfunction. The rep suggested
that before I opted for a replacement phone, I should disassemble the
phone (basically taking the battery and SIM card out) and immerse it in
bowl of uncooked rice for 24 hours. It worked! I mentioned this to a
number of people who were aware of this "folk remedy". Silica gel would
even be better as a desiccant, but it is not exactly a household item.

I have read that the best thing to do if you get your phone wet is to
not turn it on. Turning it on while wet could damage it more easily.
Use a vacuum cleaner and then bowl of rice.

Heating the phone with a hair dryer set on low also works, since it evaporates the water quickly....

Evaporating the water leaves any disolved solids behind. Absorbing
the water with a dessicant leaves less behind, as it can absorb the
solids as well.

The secret is to get the battery out as soon as possible, and shake
out as much water as possible - avoid "wet shorts" that put voltage
where it does not belong - which can permanently kill the phone.