Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default 5 things liberals never remember

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 11:03:22 PM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:

you would have to also say religious people
could refuse anything having to do with blacks.

I'd be fine with that, for the reasons I previously described.

Which would lead us right back to the separate counters and bathrooms for
whites, etc. Why do you think the Civil Rights battles were so hard fought?
Because they asked people to change a time-proven and quite innate trait
that shows up in children before speech - namely a strong preference for
those they can identify as their own kind.

Legalize discrimination today and you'd have a race war on your hands
tomorrow, with LBGT skirmishes on the sidelines. We're on the fringes of a
race war even with discrimination laws in place because many blacks feel
they aren't working. Lots of studies prove that in many areas that's true.
Whites presented with equal resumes always seem to pick the white candidate.
All sorts of other sociologic experiments prove unconscious bias in many
aspects of life.

There is no widespread discrimination today,

Why do you think that is? That everyone's come to enlightenment? Or is it
fear of prosecution? Do you think schools and restaurants would have become
integrated "eventually?" The phrase "the price of freedom is eternal
vigilance" applies here because people naturally want to discriminate and
backsliding seems to occur pretty easily.

We could roll back the laws, but that's not happening. So the other option
is to comply with them. The bakers in question refused to. Should they be
able to say "my conscience forced me to break the law so it's OK?" That's
perilously close to "the Devil made me do it!"

--
Bobby G.