Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter E.[_2_] Walter E.[_2_] is offline

Default Building code question

I could use a 4x4 on the wall side, too. I tried to avoid it because I would
need a 6" lag screw. Lot of screwing! The gate is only 3 feet wide and 5
feet tall, open pickets. Thank you.

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 14:07:03 -0500, Walter E. wrote:

I am building a wooden garden gate for the rear of my house. It will
bridge an existing 3-foot wide concrete walk which adjoins the garage.
On the lock side of the gate I will use a 4x4 treated lumber and set it
in a hole in the ground in concrete. On the hinge side, the gate needs
to be attached to the house, there is no room for another 4x4 on that
side of the gate. The bottom of this 2x4 will start six inches above the
concrete walk.

I thought I would use a 2x4 and use lag screws to screw it to the side
of the house. The 3' wide gate will fit between the 4x4 post set in
concrete and the 2x4 attached to the house (garage).

Will this arrangement compromise building codes or cause complaints from
termite inspectors when I sell the house? Of course, the 4x4 is treated
lumber. Do I need to use treated lumber for the 2x4, too?

Thanks

Walter

www.rationality.net

I wonder if the 2x4 might twist over time. Would aluminum metal
tube or
channel work out ok and not look too bad? There's also unistrut but it's
not
all that attractive.