The Natural Philosopher

Default leaking stainless steel sink outlet

the yorkshire dalesman wrote:

please, what is the correct sealant to use for the (steel) 1.5in
outlet to a standard kitchen stainless steel sink?

Mine developed a leak 2 months ago after years of no trouble. I
refitted it sealing with Bosswhite & it now seeping again.

What is the correct sealant/method?

Silicone rubber.

Disassemble
Smear with silicone goo.
Do up finger tight or even less.
Wipe of excess carefully.
Wait a day
Do up tight.

The silicone will forme a perfectly matched rubbery gasket, which will
be think enough to tighten down properly after curing.
I learnt this trick from a plumber - he threw all the washers way, and
simply used silicone on everything. None of his joints, or the ones I
made using his technique, have leaked.

many thanks for any help.