parish

Default Well OT - Any more prize winners out there?

Peter Ashby wrote:

In article ,
parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote:

I think many people really are that gullible. The promise of large sums
of money is irresistable. Why do you think that the Readers Digest Prize
Draw (which is, of course, legit and above board) is still running
after, what, 30 years? It must still increase the sale of RD's books
(which, IMO, are good enough to sell on their own merit).

You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but the problem with RD
is that once they know your address they are relentless, it can take

Not true. Register your address with the Mailing Preference Service,
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk, and their mailings will stop. RD are, in
fact, *over* zealous in their respect for those who register with MPS.
Under the scheme, any company with which you've done business in the
past can continue to send you mail-shots as it is not considered
unsolicited. From the MPS website:

"/Advertising from companies with which consumers have done business or
charities to which they have donated in the past will continue to be
delivered. If this mail is not wanted any more, it can only be stopped
by contacting the individual company or charity directly./"

We have bought books from RD for the last 15 years or so. About 6 months
ago I registered our address with the MPS. Almost immediately all mail
from RD ceased. Only last Friday I 'phoned RD's Customer Service,
explained the situation, and requested to be re-added to their mailing
lists. Once I had given the lady my address she confirmed that their
mailings had stopped due to us registering with the MPS. I pointed out
to her that, having bought books from them in the past, that we were
existing customers and so they were not required to remove us from their
lists.

them 18months from moving to them catching up with you, though we fooled
them for longer by a 6month move in the middle. They will find you in
the end though. My father used to buy their stuff and if a book is good
enough in full then I will read it in full (Wilbur Smith et al
excepted). As for their magazine, i wouldn't be surprised if they don't
have links to the Project for the New American Century.

Peter