Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using Extension Cord with Freezer

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 20:22:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/5/2015 6:56 PM, wrote:

It's best to have a dedicated circuit installed. I had a customer last summer that lost hundreds of dollars worth of frozen seafood because the receptacle in the garage was connected to a GFCI in the upstairs bathroom that was tripped. They had no idea until it was too late. If your freezer is fairly close to your electrical panel it shouldn't be too expensive to have an electrician install a new circuit for you.

I'm not sure what the present code is, but a fridge or freezer should
not be on a GFCI for that reason, I understand than now it is required
in the kitchen though.

Deficated circuit for refrig is required here in new construction