Posted to alt.home.repair
Arnie Goetchius[_2_] Arnie Goetchius[_2_] is offline

Default 14.5 hp OHV Won't Turn Over Unless Plug Removed - Electric Start

Arnie Goetchius wrote:
gregz wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote:
J Burns wrote:
On 6/8/15 3:04 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
I took the spark plug out and the starter turned the engine over with no
problem. Replaced with new spark plug. Also noticed what appeared to be
an excessive amount of oil in crank case so drained oil and replaced
with 42 oz of 30 W.(Briggs & Stratton 287707-1224) Started right up.
That was Sunday. Started several times during the day, all okay.

Proceeded to mow the lawn today with no problem. The acid test will be
if the starter will turn the engine over this weekend after having not
been run for 5 days. Fingers crossed!!

On motorcycles with horizontally opposed engines, I sometimes couldn't
kick them over because of hydrostatic lock. If the bike was left long
enough on the side stand, oil could seep past the rings into the
cylinder. I'd remove the plug, kick it over to blow the oil out, put the
plug back in, and start.

If you had too much oil, you may have had hydrostatic lock when you left
it more than a day.
I think your right. Will try and start Friday (after three days) to see
if it works. If not, I can always remove the plug again. :-)

My old mower gained oil, well gasoline after carb stuck. Didn't last long.

Greg

Started up today with no problems so I guess I'm good to go. But will
keep an eye on sales just in case.

Same problem again today. This time I unscrewed the plug about 1/2 turn
and turned over with no problem. Tightened plug and re-installed the
wire and it turns over and starts fine.