Dylan

Default Epson ELP 7200 Projector Power Supply Help

Hello, all.

I have recently acquired an Epson ELP 7200 LCD Projector with a bad
power supply. I had it assessed at an authorized repair shop and they
just said the power supply was bad.. and estimated $300+ for parts
(the PS) and $250 for labour to fix it.

I've pulled the unit apart and inspected the power supply and I can't
seem to find anything visually wrong with it. I've tested with a
Voltmeter where the power supply provides power to the main circuit
board and some of the lines have what seems to be reasonable voltage
(others do not.. but I'm no expert).

I got a hold of the Service Manual thinking/hoping it would provide
enough details for me to properly assess myself what is broken.. but
no such luck. The service manual was next to useless.. only providing
information on how to coomunicate through the serial port with a
correctly working projector. No help on troubleshooting a currently
defective one.

I've been trying to find information on possibly how to fix a power
supply but mostly find advice to not even try because of the
potentially lethal voltage stored up.

Another thought was that I could just swap out the power supply with
another one and not worry about aesthetics or mobility. It is
difficult to figure if this is possible since I don't know what the
correct voltages are for a correctly working unit.

What do people think? Is this a lost cause? Is there anything obvious
I can check out?

I've only gone to an 'authorized' Epson repair shop so far.. would I
have better success going somewhere that would actually try to repair
the current power supply rather than just throwing it out for a new
one?

The chance that I could have a working LCD projector and watch my
movies 10 feet wide on the wall is hard to ignore. I've been a little
obsessive about this thing lately.

Thanks,
Any help appreciated.

Dylan