Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Standard" bulb base: E26 or E27? Both?

On Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 3:56:06 PM UTC-6, Jeff wrote:
k wrote:

I can't seem to find a consistent answer. I see so-called 'standard' bulb
bases called both E26 and E27, and I'd really like to know if they are one
and the same. The reason? I see fixtures advertised with one or the other
type socket. I have googled myself blue, and stood in the lighting dept at
Home Depot for half an hour on Sunday. Of course, the kid working lighting
that day had no clue.

Bulb packages say things like 'candelabra' base, or 'intermediate' base or
'standard' base, no E26 or E27. Yet, try to buy a fixture on Ebay, and it
will require either E26 or E27.

Which is it to be?

tia,
Keith

I just reminded myself that when I first moved to Red Sox Nation in the
1950s I discovered that the "standard looking" incandescents used for
interior lighting in the subway cars had left handed threads.

DAMHIKT, but they were that way to discourage "bulb snatching".

And they still make them:

http://www.sunshinelighting.com/item-12530-3218.htm

Jeff

--

I worked for a supply house that sold the left hand thread bulbs and the construction lights that are strung around work sites. The bulb cages used to be made from metal wire but I think most of them have plastic guards now. The idiot thieves who tried to steal the left hand thread bulbs started stealing the whole light strings. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Bulb Monster