Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Brake light goes on.

| If the spring isn't strong enough, spray some lubricant down the brake
| cable. A lot I guess, since it the cable goes all the way to the
| wheels. Although come to think of it, it's only in a sheeth part of
| the way. But that would mean there are other places, curves and bends,
| where there is more cable within sheeth. Any of it could be the place
| where the cable is binding. I think it's more likely the cable is
| binding than that the spring is weak.

No, it's the spring. It's right there in plain sight.
There's no sheath. And sometimes the arm sticks.
The cable connects to an arm about halfway back.
Another cable connects
there and goes to the brake. When the brake cable
is released, a spring connected to the arm causes
it to be pulled toward the back in order to keep
it snug. It's that spring design that accounts for
the emergancy brake handle retracting when it's
released.

I've tried household oil on the spring. It seems
to help. But the whole assembly has rusted somewhat.
Not really a big deal, which is why I haven't quite got
around to *really* dealing with it.