Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Brake light goes on.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 13:18:49 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 09:05:33 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| My 2000 Toyota Solara convertible started displaying the Brake light on
| the instrument panel a few months ago.

I have the same trouble with my Tacoma, but
it is the parking brake. The cable has become
stretched while the pull-back spring assembly

If the cable has stretched, there is an adjustment at the base of the
lever that will shorten the cable maybe as much as a half inch. It's
usually a nut that pulls in a screw that has the cable attached. If
that adjustment is insufficient, JCWhitney used to sell a cable
shortener that went on where there were 2 inches of cable in the air.
It's shaped like a Euro symbol, or an E, with a hook in the middle and a
screw that pulls the hook back, while the rest of cable is caught on the
upper and lower arms of the E. Okay, not surprisingly, they still
sell them. Search on brake cable shortener.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1115360...lpid=82&chn=ps

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...HerhoCglHw_wcB
This one has the hook going the wrong direction!! And the reviews are
interesting. For some, it bent.

https://chircoestore.com/cable-short...-EMBoCWtrw_wcB
This one looks entirely different... Ah, it's a replacement or maybe an
extreme version of the adjusting screw I first mentioned. I think it
might not fit in many cars, but it would make going under the car
unnecessary.

is stiff. The problem is that it just doesn't retract
fully, so it doesn't push down the little button
above the brake pedal to shut the light off. You

You have a little button that shuts the light off?

might check just to make sure that's not the
problem you're having.

As I said, It's not the emergency brake.

On the other hand, if you're
filling the brake fluid canister every 3 weeks you

I've had the car for 3 or 4 years, and it's only one ounce below
overflowing. I guess these are general instructions, not just for me.

have a serious problem. It's also not supposed to be
filled to the top. Or, at least, I've never seen one
where the fill line was at the top.

Me neither, but there's no arguing with success.

There is a float switch in the reservoir, and they can be "flakey",
triggering the brake warning light even with the fluid at the correct
level.

I have to think about this. I guess making the fluid level deeper
increases the lift on the float. Is that true? It increases the
fluid pressure, but I'm still not sure it increases lift on something
that floats, that was already entirely under the fluid level. ??

And I forgot that there would be a proper level line embossed in the
plastic. It was daytime but it was still in the shadow and I could
have found that with a flashlight. But it seems it's good to ignore
that level when you need to.