Alan

Default Had Sony KV-32XBR45 repaired - now missing features

It is quite possible that either the Eeprom was replaced during this
repair and not set up correctly or the Eeprom was corrupted due to a
spike or surge at the time of powersupply failure.This component
contains settings for color,geometry,audio and various other
stuff.There are some settings that tell the set what model it is.If
these settings are wrong for the specific model,you bcan end up with
missing features,features that work different or menu options for
features that your set doesn't have.All this is setup with a hidden
service menu wich requires the factory service manual to obtain the
correct settings.You may need to have it set up correctly,or the
Eeprom will need to be replaced and then setup afterwards.
This is not normally a job for the do it yourself type because you can
create other problems and or cause damage.The info that appears on the
screen is not self explanatory either.
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:19:43 +0000 (UTC), Vince
wrote:

I had a Sony KV-32XBR45 (32" XBR) television that developed video problems
(it was jittering and pulsating between hourglass and pincushion) and I
recently had it fixed. Now that I have it back, I noticed that several
features are missing such as (1) side-by-side picture (alternative to
PIP...PIP still works tho), (2) Freeze picture doesn't function, (3) PIP
has 2 size settings instead of 3, (4) The "Display" button on the remote
just cycles between showing time/station and not showing time/station. It
used to also cycle through showing closed caption and turning External Data
Service on.(5)...lots of other little things.

The repair shop indicated power supply problem and also damaged video
drivers. Seemed reasonable. But, given the missing features, it sure seems
to me there's in new logic board in the TV. So, my first question, is there
video circuitry along with logic circuitry on one board in this TV? (In
other words, is it reasonable that the logic board would have to be swapped
to fix a video problem?)

My second question is, does anyone recognize the feature differences? My
repair shops appears to just have ordered a replacement board from some
non-Sony source (who claims they shipped him the right parts). I'm trying
to help the repair shop identify exactly which board they did get instead
of what they should have gotten.

Or....is this really the right board and somehow has old software flashed
into it (or maybe even has a configuration setting set wrong that can be
easily corrected)?

Would appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Regards.

Vince