Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default What is a good treatment for wooden shovel handles

wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 17:52:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 6:39:05 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Over time the wooden handles on shovels and other garden tools tend to
dry out and crack. Particularly when they get weathered. I know it's
best to keep them indoors, but that dont always happen. I was thinking
about oiling all of them. But with what? Just plain motor oil, or
maybe some linseed oil? Actually I just tried some saddle oil on one of
them called Neatsfoot oil. I only did this because the bottle only had
enough in it to do one handle and I wanted to get rid of the nearly
empty bottle which was just wasting shelf space. But what is the
recommended or best product for this?

Thanks

Tung Oil

I treat mine with regular motor oil. Just buy some cheap oil and rub it
on with a rag. Then let it sit in the sun for a day, and give it a
second coat. After another day in the sun, wipe the handle with a dry
rag to remove any excess, and you're ready to use the shovel.

I put motor oil on my axe handles.

Greg