Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default What is a good treatment for wooden shovel handles

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 6:39:05 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Over time the wooden handles on shovels and other garden tools tend to
dry out and crack. Particularly when they get weathered. I know it's
best to keep them indoors, but that dont always happen. I was thinking
about oiling all of them. But with what? Just plain motor oil, or
maybe some linseed oil?

Simplest solution is linseed oil and a cotton glove (to spread
it evenly everywhere on the handle once a year.) Ash makes
the best handles, viz. strong and crack-resistant.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs