Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Do you have the receipt?

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
news

Do you remember the lawsuits against Sears some years ago? I
think

the mechanics got a commission on parts on an individual basis. The
results
were almost inevitable. Customers got parts they really didn't need.

I had a car in the shop a few years back. The online help from stores like
Autozone pointed to the mass air sensor ( think that was it) that was about
a $ 500 part. Instead of getting that part I took the car to a dealer where
I though they should be able to check out that part. The mechanic replaced
about 3 or 4 other things that cost form $ 50 to $ 100 each that did not
solve the problem. They finally replaced the sensor after about 2 weeks and
an email from me to Toyota about that dealer not being able to repair a
problem. I still had to pay for the other items that were replaced that
were not needed. I don't think I was ripped off by the mechanic other than
he did not how to check out a car. Just a parts changer instead of a real
mechanic.
The dealer did say he was just going to charge me their cost for several of
the items to try and make me happy.

That and a couple of other things cost them atleast 2 car sales from me over
the next 10 years, and I will only buy from them again if they are really
below out of town car prices.
They will be the last place I look at for a car.