Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you have the receipt?

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 9:23:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 08:35:01 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 08:49:46 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I'm with you, that some customers are a bit too
much trouble.

Might just be my opinion, but doctors and lawyers are the worst
customers. They will nickel and dime you to death.

Doctor complained when after doing some repairs to his car I told
him that I was sure we had solved the problem, but if it wasn't 100%
to his liking he could bring it back and I'd do a final adjustment for
him, gratis. He thought for what we charged it should last forever,
and be perfect the first time.
I told him diagnosis is difficult, and everybody can miss once in a
while - but as a mechanic I fixed my mistakes - I didn't bury them.

Teacher complained mechanics charged too much (and this was after my
stint at teaching) so I said unlike teachers, I guaranteed my job.

Have you ever fired customers? When I was in business, I would fire a couple a year if they mistreated me. They were puzzled as to why I was no longer responding to their calls. Some people will never learn and when they screw over enough service companies, word gets out and nobody will do work for them.

Me and my brother considered what it would take to set up a website called "The Better Customer Bureau". Guys and gals in any service or contracting business who were registered members of TBCB could report customers who were difficult, disrespectful, nasty or refused to pay. I thought it would be a good idea to have a small DVR or (bodycam) running when there is any interaction with customers but you must let them know you're recording phone calls or video of them. You'd explain it was company policy to protect the customer and serviceman in case of a dispute or complaint of bad behavior by company personnel. You could also offer to provide pictures or video of what you find wrong and the work done at their home or business. I've worked as an independant contractor for large service companies which had websites where contractors are required to upload pictures and repair tickets. You could tell the new customer that you're a member of a professional organization that reports the names of good customers so they can get a discount for services from any of the members. The policy would be that only names and general area where the customer is located would be shared with other members and the information would never be used for unsolicited advertising of any sort. There would be a need for a separate website to list the names of businesses registered with the Good Customers List so customers could lookup the names of member companies. Of course members of TBCB could always check the names of potential customers to see if they've been reported as unacceptable or non payers. That's what the recordings are for. Those recordings would be uploaded the site for its members to see. Yes, I know,there are always legal ramifications of any service like the Better Business Bureau and we'd have to copy some of the ways they do things but revenge is always fun. Perhaps the site could be registered in Belize or someplace like that in case some crazy person gets upset about being outed as a lowdown jerk. I must wonder if it would be better to have the site available to only registered, vetted users or let it be wide open so the videos of nutjobs could go viral. Oh well, it's only a dream. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Revenge Monster