Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you have the receipt?

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 23:38:30 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
It was a pretty good gig - but I walked out and never went back. If

my knowing where to get the part they needed "yesterday", and getting
it to them within the hour wasn't worth something to them, too bad.
They were not getting it for nothing, and I didn't need their work
badly enough to take the abuse that came with it.

Those companies want something for nothing. I retired and about 6 months
later I got a call that some old equipment was being restarted and they
needed some help. I told them I would come back for the short time they
wanted but double what I was making while working. That is what they said I
worth when working, benefits, 401k, insurance and such. They balked at that
, so I did not go back. I did not need the money and would only be doing
that just to help them out. I thought if I was worth that much before
retiring, I would be worth that much if not more when they needed
experienced short time help.

When I was a young mechanic i was working for a dealership making a
reasonable wage, but definitely not high pay, when a dealer closer to
home offered me a job at a dollar an hour more - and back in 1972 a
dollar was a fair amount. I accepted the job, and gave my notice to my
current employer. He offered to double my pay rate if I stayed, I had
to tell him if I was worth that to stay, I was worth that before I
left, and I had given my new employer my word I'd be there in 2 weeks
and I'd be there. - Told him he better pay my replacement what he was
worth if he wanted to keep him.