Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any hope in re-sweating copper tubing?

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 00:44:04 +0000, Sid in Sacramento
wrote:

replying to 46erjoe, Sid in Sacramento wrote:
somebody wrote:

In doing some recent plumbing work, I had to sweat a particularly
difficult and oddly shaped joint in the bathroom wall. I was surprised
when I turned on the water valve and it actually held! (I've never
been good at soldering copper tubing,)
Anyway, a week later, it developed a pinprick leak. In the past, I've
tried to re-sweat joints to no avail. But maybe I'm overlooking a
special technique or product.
Any help would be appreciated. I used tin/antimony solder. For now it
looks like I will have to disassemble the whole thing and that will be
a real mess because I will have to tear part of the wall apart.
Thanks.

I have seen even the Pros have difficulty sweating some copper joints, you
might look into using ' Sharkbites ' for the joints, they sell them at
your local home depot or lowes, and are rated for behind the wall
placement !

Drain and blow out the pipe to make sure you are not warting BTUs
boiling water, and use a good high heat torch - a turbo-torch on MAP
or an air/acetylene plumber's torch will do the job. With the old
standard Bernz0Matic propane torch you can pretty well forget about
it. With a turbo torch on Propane you have a fighting chance.

If there is water in the pipe, you might manage in a week as long as
the water is turned off and one eng is open.