Sam Goldwasser

Default Micrwave oven - M8A fuse?

Mike Tomlinson writes:

In article , Sam Goldwasser
writes

When exactly did it trip?

I'm not completely sure. It was either at the very end of cooking one
lot of food or at the very beginning of cooking the next. There was a
~2 minute interval between. I only noticed power had gone when I opened
the fridge to get something.

This would be correct for a DMM. You need to test it with a power
supply since the forward drop is more than 6 V.

Thanks. I have found the test cct in the FAQ.

When it popped the breaker would be significant. If it happened exactly
when the heating was called on to stop, could be a triac failure also.

The supply to the HV transformer is controlled by a relay, not a triac
in this model.

Update: I replaced the 8A fuse with a 5A fast-blow, and the oven
appears to work. It boiled half a pint of water in about 3 minutes.

The mica splash protector for the waveguide was very dirty (even on the
waveguide side.) Have cleaned it up and will see how it goes.

It's not totally out of the question for the fuse to have just died
of old age and there actually being no problem.

A. Top posters.

Sorry.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.