Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default sunken living room - help!

In ,
trader_4 typed:
On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 8:01:01 AM UTC-4, CRNG wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 06:57:00 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote in

Courtney wrote:

snip

My husband thinks we should just try to match the color of the
laminate and paint it so we can draw attention away from it. I
feel like we need to make it better, but I have no idea how to fix
it. I tried to just set the 4 inch baseboard up against the more
uniform wall, but even that is super wavy....it lines up with the
current baseboard but then is an inch below it by the end of the
wall.

Not sure if all this makes sense but if anyone has any ideas or
advice, we'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

You need a trim carpenter. He needs to install a sufficiently high
baseboard around the room.

To do so, he may or may not have to shim out the recessed areas.
The area of concrete that projects from the wall could be cut off
or he could put the baseboard on that; in the latter case, the base
wouldn't meet the wall at the top so he could use a short thick
piece at the top then a thin baseboard under that.

After the baseboard, you need a shoe molding to hide the gap
between floor and baseboard.

+1 on this soluton.

Agree. At least that's all that I can say without seeing pics
of the actual problem. But it sounds like it can be covered up by
a wide enough molding, followed by a shoe molding. If concrete
sticks out more in some areas, it may be possible to remove
material from the back of the molding so it will fit.

I agree. And, some photos would probably help -- maybe by using a free image
upload site like:
http://tinypic.com/

When the OP wrote that the 4-inch baseboard is okay in some areas, but and
inch below the existing baseboard, it made me suspect that a wider baseboard
is needed. It is possible to use 1"x6" pine as a baseboard (with top trim
and shoe molding on the bottom), or look for other wider baseboard trim.

About the areas where the concrete wall sticks out a little too far -- chip
it back or grind it back.

Good luck.