Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT Car repair, car cuts out.

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 11:01:32 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
This is what I thought when I saw the tv show.

I'm sure beting without oil pressure will ruin the engine, maybe in less
than 20 seconds, and damage it in less than 10 or 15. But....

They said the make and model, but I only heard the model name and it was
one I had not heard of, and I've forgotten it.

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 18:10:32 -0400, micky
wrote:

Please comment when anything seems worth commenting on.

A plaintiff on a tv court show complains that her car keeps cutting out,
turning off without being told to, and she takes it to a garage.

He puts it on the electronic whatever, and there is a code for the oil

Did the engine cut out when it was on the analyser? Probably not.
Sure a lot of things set codes, but not everything. All of the original
codes and all of the codes required by law relate to air pollution
aiui.and few relate to why the engine doesn't run .

Not true. There is a wealth of code information beyond the
basic codes that you can read out with a basic, cheap, handheld
code reader. I have software that is PC based for BMW. It
will tell you if there is an occasional misfire on cylinder 3,
if the radiator fan is working, if the coolant temp has been
running too low, etc. For sure if a low oil pressure situation
caused the engine to be shut down, the computer would have
that information. And it wouldn't even require the car to be
started to read it out.

pressure or the oil pressure switch. He looks and notes that wires
going by the oil pan are saturated in oil, so he replaces them and gives
her back the car.

I can't quite imagine wires saturated enough to short out, and even if
they're covered in oil, I think they should be wiped off.

I've never seen oil on wires being a problem either. Insulation
on those wires is almost certainly not susceptible to oil.