Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Emergency service only"

On 06/18/2015 09:56 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[anip]

There are other things that vary too. One annoying thing with
this VM system is that they send of emergency warning system texts
that set off an urgent warning buzzer kind of sound. I've had maybe
two that were legitimate severe storm or flash flood warnings.
All the rest have been tests. And some times, like yesterday
they did 4 test texts during the day. It can go for weeks without a
test, then a day like yesterday, the phone is going nuts. Very annoying.

I get warnings on my Verizon phone. Some are desirable (there was a
warning for last month's tornado, although I wish it was more than about
45 seconds in advance). Most are annoying.

For that matter, those tests of the TV emergency warning system
are annoying too. I watch TV sometimes when I can't sleep and
they must test that damn thing every week. Yet, in decades, I
have yet to see it display a real warning. And in this day and
age, you would think they could test it without actually having
to send a full actual message for 30 secs.

So, when you hear that tone, the first thing you think of is that it's a
test, not that it's a possible emergency.

Same thing with the fire drills at school. The first think I think of
when that alarm sounds is NOT that the building's on fire.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it." [Oscar
Wilde]