Posted to alt.cellular,alt.home.repair

Default "Emergency service only"

[snip]

Maybe the OP was out of range of an AT&T tower at that moment
(propagation is not constant even if he was standing in the same spot)
but within range of some other phone company's tower -- Verizon? (which
I understand has the best coverage, although it's not what I use,
because of the cost).

Perce

AT&T works on the highway in front of Kroger (about a mile away), butis
almost unusable at my house. Getting a signal at all requires being on
the south side of the yard (closest to the highway), and calls are
likely to be dropped (even if I do stand on one foot and hold the phone
over the fence).

I use Verizon, which works decently here.

I have gotten the "Emergency Service Only" message once. Possibly
because the cell tower here was overloaded.

That (cell towers overloaded) happened after the tornado that came
through here May 25.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"People who feel themselves to be exiles in this world are mightily
inclined to believe themselves citizens of another." [George Santayana]