G. Skiffington

Default ALTERNATOR - STARTING - HELP

Hello there BB......There's just little bits of truth about certain
setups with the advice you've been given by "someones". What exact p/n
or model (prefer) Lucas alternator are you using? Can you supply a
diagram of your connection? What rpm do you normally operate and what
is
the mechanical step-up ratio to your alternator (i.e. 2:1 3:1 or actual
pulley or gearing sizes). Are the batteries chargeable (not sulphated
and/or open circuit)? One thing that I've found overlooked on marine
installs sometimes is that an alternator may be built with a floating
(not case) ground.....if so is this connected? I've also seen
situations where the pivot and adjust bracket were rubber isolated and
were also electrically isolating the case from ground.....a ground strap
was left off in this case. Is there a battery master and/or isolator
switch associated with this boat.....in some the alternator output is
routed to charge either or both or even neither (lots of variations
exist out there). What say?