Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Solid state replacement regulator for '58 Chevy C60

dpb wrote:
On 06/13/2015 3:55 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 09:55:46 -0500, wrote:

On 06/12/2015 7:48 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 07:28:51 -0500, wrote:

On 06/11/2015 10:06 PM,
wrote:

...[big snip]...

Just throw an integrated Delcotron on the old pig and be done with
it.

Could but seems like a larger cash outlay than needed by quite a
bit...
A used delcotron will cost you less than a new electronic
regulator -
IF you can find one.

There may not be any for generators owing to such small market share...I
had made a presumption that appears to have been in error that the
relics under discussion in the Chevy group that I had come across were
indeed of sufficient vintage to have been generator-supplied originally.
Turns out they were more recent than that and were speaking of
alternator systems.

I've forgotten just when the transition became essentially
universal...early 70s/late 60s maybe? That's a detail I don't recall on
the '69 Charger now...

The problem with a generator is you need a 3 unit regulator. You need
to limit maximum charging voltage, limit maximum charging current, and
prevent backflow through the generator from the battery (motoring the
generator and killing the battery)

Yes...

Alternators started becoming mainstream about 1961/1962

They still used electromechanical rewgulators untill somehere around
the mid eighties on some vehicles, but elrctronics were making good
inroads by the early-mid seventies.

Well, I got the beastie out today and spent some time readjusting per
the expanded Delco service bulletin. Looks like I had left it a little
low on voltage but had current down to where it wasn't overcharging and
boiling water out that was wreaking having on the body parts needless to
say.

We'll give it some time now and see if it does get to and keep at full
charge with the occasional use now. It's a pita to adjust which is why
had thought about replacing it if could find a suitable substitute as
you can't monitor the voltage/current w/o the cover on because it
changes the field around the regulating coils which changes the output
and you can't keep the cover on while the engine is running w/o the
screws and you can't make any adjustment except by the tweaking of the
spring clip ends plus by modifying either coil (voltage/current limiter)
one affects the other...and it doesn't help that the reach over the
fender to get to the regulator on the firewall with the high chassis
just _kills_ my old back to stay there any length of time...

--

Your adjustment depends on engine RPM too. Time is money, how much time
are you going to spend(waste) B4 deciding to upgrade to alternator.