Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Central AC Condenser Fan Running Slow

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 3:24:09 AM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 7:33:00 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 11:10:53 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
So, more bad news.... I thought it was a PSC fan motor from
looking at the schematics online. When I took off the cover,
the first surprise was there were only two wires on the cap
and it's hooked up to the compressor only. Upon looking at
the fan motor, it's an ECM type, so there is no cap. It gets
240V, it's supposed to do the rest.....

So, I restarted it this AM and it came up to full speed.
While it was running I had cold air. Not sure that it was
as cold as it's supposed to be, but the suction line was cold,
and it was working. So, I let it go and kept rechecking about
every 5 mins. Took about 15 or 20 mins, and then when I went
out, the fan was at the slower speed, air leaving condenser
was hotter. While
I was contemplating what to do next, the compressor kicked off,
presumably because it was getting too hot due to the fan problem.

So, now looks like I'm screwed. I haven't pulled the fan motor
yet, but looks like it's probably a $385 part. Thank you EPA.
The PSC type is ~$140. I'm thinking if I can somehow verify that
the equivalent PSC type will fit, I'd get that and mount a cap
for it. Plenty of room for the cap. Only issue is verifying that
the motor will fit/mount. Next step is take out the fan.

If it's an ECM, it would be in the two stage unit. Your model number shows it to be a single speed unit. Stranger things have happened. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Speed Monster

They are using single speed ECM now to reduce energy consumption,
increase SEER, meet govt standards, etc. I think it sucks, because
of the fact that the electronics are more failure prone than a PSC,
and when it fails, it costs more. I haven't been a big fan of
ECM motors for that reason.

Isn't there anything like control circuit module or PCB with the motor?
If it is just motor, then the two leads should carry DC voltage. Back
tracing that two wires will lead to controller, I think.

It's one of the ECM motors with the electronics built into
the end cap of the motor. It takes 240V.