Posted to alt.home.repair

Default snake in the back yard

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 10:01:07 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 5:25:35 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 1:47:58 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
A venomous snake out in the woods is one thing ... a venomous
snake in the yard where my grandchildren are playing is another .
There is an overgrown empty lot next door to our house in Memphis
. Our son and his family live in that house . Last trip to
Memphis , one of their cats was bitten by a venomous snake RIGHT
NEXT TO THE DRIVEWAY WHERE THE KIDS WERE PLAYING . That cat died
in less than a minute , it was struck in the neck . Evidence was
found close by of a nest with opened eggs , probably copperheads
. A young copperhead was killed a couple of houses down just days
before this happened . Now then , since all snakes are beneficial
, should we just let them be and risk one of the neighborhood
kids getting struck and maybe die ? I think not . --
Snag

why not carefully claen up the vacant lot next door, and cut the
grass occasionally.

just a bit of work can beautify the neighborhood and help make it
safer too

No good deed goes unpunished. The cops would probably show up and
arrest him for trespassing. A better solution is what we do around
here when there is an overgrown empty lot. Call the city and city
workers will clean it up and the city will bill the owner and if the
owner doesn't pay, the city condemns and seizes the property. Of
course you will never see a junked up overgrown empty lot in an
upper class neighborhood. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Junk Monster

The city has cleaned up the lot and billed the owner . He ain't
happy . No way I'd get involved in that , though the city offered my
son (who lives in my house - I live 175 miles away in Arkansas) a
contract to do the mowing . He wisely (IMO) declined . The owner
bought that lot for back taxes in anticipation of building on it and
turning a profit - which ain't happenin' in that neighborhood at
this time . One more example of the gov't stepping in and "helping"
by offering property owners a big fat section 8 check to rent to
"minorities" .

--
Snag

From what I've been able to find, the majority of people in Section 8
housing are Caucasian. Same with welfare, the majority appear to be
Caucasian too. The difference I've read about seems to be in the
amount of time different racial groups stay on public assistance. I
can't find a good comprehensive source for all the numbers without
spending more time searching than I care to but as I recall,
Caucasians spend the least amount of time on public assistance. But
the claim that Negro Americans make up the largest group on public
assistance looks like a misnomer to me. I wish someone with a better
source would post a link. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fair and Balanced Monster

Trash is trash no matter the color of their skin . However , in this case
the tenants are/were mostly black . Memphis has a predominantly black
population , and most of them are good citizens . And many are not . The
problem I see with section 8 is that the tenants are not held responsible
for any damage they do to the property . Since they are not held accountable
, they tear things up to the point that properties are not livable , then
move on to another . Rinse , lather , repeat . IMO if they were denied
another place to live under sec8 if they did this , they'd quit doing it ..
Maybe .
And maybe they'd scream discrimination ...
--
Snag

I've looked into section 8 housing myself because I'm disabled and can't do physical labor anymore. Hell, I can't walk right now. The only problem here in the Birmingham area is the waiting list that is only open for applications once a year. I must find a flat place without any stairs so I can get in and out easily because the house I'm in right now has too many stairs. The home health care service is trying to help me find handicapped accessible housing, hopefully someplace quiet. It's very frustrating to be unable to get up and go when I want to. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster