Posted to alt.home.repair

Default snake in the back yard

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 5:25:35 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 1:47:58 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
A venomous snake out in the woods is one thing ... a venomous
snake in the yard where my grandchildren are playing is another .
There is an overgrown empty lot next door to our house in Memphis .
Our son and his family live in that house . Last trip to Memphis ,
one of their cats was bitten by a venomous snake RIGHT NEXT TO THE
DRIVEWAY WHERE THE KIDS WERE PLAYING . That cat died in less than a
minute , it was struck in the neck . Evidence was found close by of
a nest with opened eggs , probably copperheads . A young copperhead
was killed a couple of houses down just days before this happened .
Now then , since all snakes are beneficial , should we just let
them be and risk one of the neighborhood kids getting struck and
maybe die ? I think not . --
Snag

why not carefully claen up the vacant lot next door, and cut the
grass occasionally.

just a bit of work can beautify the neighborhood and help make it
safer too

No good deed goes unpunished. The cops would probably show up and
arrest him for trespassing. A better solution is what we do around
here when there is an overgrown empty lot. Call the city and city
workers will clean it up and the city will bill the owner and if the
owner doesn't pay, the city condemns and seizes the property. Of
course you will never see a junked up overgrown empty lot in an upper
class neighborhood. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Junk Monster

The city has cleaned up the lot and billed the owner . He ain't happy . No
way I'd get involved in that , though the city offered my son (who lives in
my house - I live 175 miles away in Arkansas) a contract to do the mowing .
He wisely (IMO) declined . The owner bought that lot for back taxes in
anticipation of building on it and turning a profit - which ain't happenin'
in that neighborhood at this time . One more example of the gov't stepping
in and "helping" by offering property owners a big fat section 8 check to
rent to "minorities" .

--
Snag

From what I've been able to find, the majority of people in Section 8 housing are Caucasian. Same with welfare, the majority appear to be Caucasian too. The difference I've read about seems to be in the amount of time different racial groups stay on public assistance. I can't find a good comprehensive source for all the numbers without spending more time searching than I care to but as I recall, Caucasians spend the least amount of time on public assistance. But the claim that Negro Americans make up the largest group on public assistance looks like a misnomer to me. I wish someone with a better source would post a link. ^_^