Posted to alt.home.repair
Wa1t 0akley Wa1t 0akley is offline

Default Central AC Condenser Fan Running Slow

On 06/11/2015 08:25 PM, trader_4 wrote:
Figures when it's 92, the AC would quit. System was still
running, but the air was no longer cold. It's a Rheem, 5 ton,
4 years old. Upon checking, it seemed the fan on the outside
condenser unit was running slower than normal and the air
exiting was warmer than normal. But since I don't look at it
every day, I wasn't sure.

So, I turned it off for half an hour, then back on and went
outside immediately. The fan was running at full warp speed now,
then after about 30 secs, it went to the slower speed that
I had seen before. Luckily I had gotten out there in time to
catch it. So, clearly the fan starts up normal, the quickly
goes to running slow for some reason. Nothing is blocking/touching
it. It's also just a single stage unit, so the fan has only
I speed. I haven't
pulled out the schematic yet. Ideas? Do these typically
have a run capacitor or just a start capacitor? If so,
maybe the run cap? Or could be a bad motor. Any ideas
guys on how to diagnose? I guess they don't build them like
they used to......

Is that a single or two phase compressor?