Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Car compass

Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 11:19:26 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:
On 9 Jun 2015 16:39:18 GMT, KenK wrote:

Last week on the way to downtown I found my main east/west road was closed.
Trying to avoid a two mile drive to and from the next e/w main road I
ducked into the residential area nearby. This is a dry agricultural area so
there are lots of irrigation ditches and I kept getting blocked by them.
Quickly became lost. Finally ended up on the next main road I was trying to
avoid driving to but with many side trips on the way. sigh I had wished I
had a compass. Can you still put one in the car? There used to be many more
places to fasten one around the windshield than nowdays on a modern car.

I had no problem attaching one to my dashboard with 2-sided tape.
A compass isn't a GPS, and serves a different purpose.
Sometime you just want to know in what direction you're heading.
A compass does that best.

GPS has compass function. Compass heading is displayed all the time.

Yeah, and mine has a time function too, but I use the dash clock.
I only use the GPS for the mapping it provides to an address, which
means I usually don't bring it.
Unless your GPS has an electronic compass (mine doesn't) you have be
moving to get a bearing, and you have to have a signal. It's a
differential compass.
Electronic compasses have to be kept calibrated, and need a steady
mounting.
My floating ball magnetic compass does a better job telling me what
direction I'm going. I'm happy with it.

Also you know that magnetic North is not true North.