Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Marks Paul Marks is offline

Default Brown stains in toilet

On 6/7/2015 11:48 AM, wrote:
These stains, especially if they are brown/rust looking and are streaking down from the toilet bowl rim are caused by hard water, ie calcium and mineral deposits. I thoroughly cleaned them off with CLR, took a lot of sdraping with a plastic scraper. Then what i did was to put 3 Overnight Polident denture cleaner IN THE TANK, and leave it in overnight, when the toilet won't be flushed for several hours. If you see the stains reappear, put in 3 tablets for 3 to 4 nights in a row.

I turned off the water to the toilet, flushed and plunger-ed the
remaining water out of the bowl, then spread Lysol toilet cleaner on the
bowl surface undiluted, (the thick, syrupy blue stuff that contains
acid), walked away for and hour, came back, turned the water back on,
flushed, and the water stains were gone. Also worked for the shower base.