Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default 14.5 hp OHV Won't Turn Over Unless Plug Removed - Electric Start

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 18:07:58 -0400, Arnie Goetchius
wrote:

I have a tractor (MTD 1998) with a 14.5 OHV Briggs & Stratton. The
starter has been giving me fits over the last year or so. The starter
would not turn the engine over. I tried to turn the engine by hand but
could not.

Have brand new battery and some times I can jump start with the car
battery and will turn over. Once I get it running, there is no problem.
If I turn it off for an hour, it will start right up. Leave it off for a
couple of days and the starter will not crank. Any ideas?

Sounds like you bought another cheap battery. Failed to do a few
simple things to make it start, routinely. For the record, a starter
with bronze or maybe brass shaft bushings have worn. The starter
begins to "drag", and the battery can't crank it. YMMV.

If starfter has Bendix type contacts, maybe it is pitted from
weak battery. Time to check the starter assembly.