Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How well do cell phones really work?

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 1:28:41 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 22:04:50 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 8:56:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 20:40:27 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 15:34:03 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 6/4/2015 7:28 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
"micky" wrote in message
OT for AHR, not for other ng.

How well do cell phones really work?

My niece graduated NYU a couple weeks ago, and standing outside Madison
Square Garden, using a cell phone, I could not reach her mother (who had
the tickets***), only her voice mail. She was probably inside by then.

But I could reach my niece, who was also inside by then.

Her mother could not reach me, although I later found 4 messages from
her from that time period on my voice mail. But she could reach her
daughter at the same time.

Her daughter could reach both of us.

How is this possible?

In addition to the other reply, I have found that much depends on network
usage at any given time. You could be crowded out when everyone tries to
use a limited resource at the same time.

This is one reason carriers are in the process of adding WIFI coverage, in
addition to regular cell coverage. If you are within WIFI coverage, they
can route you through the wired system without having to use their precious
cell bandwidth (or even if you are nowhere near cell coverage).

In NYC AT&T has a lot of issues. Verizon does not.

That could be a big part of it.

Is there an app t hat lets one view the group of voicemails as a list of
separate ones, and maybe even lets one call in and retrieve them out of
order? For android.

Don't know Android - I'm not a big fan. Love my BlackBerry Q10 - loved
myBB Curve before that, and the 2 others before that. Before the
"smart phones" I had several Nokias that worked well.and a Motorola
that wasn't worth crap. They've all been on the Rogers (AT&T)
network.

You'd be surprized how many cell phones you see in the bush in Africa
- where you could never get a land line.

Heck, it's in the developing countries that have no copper phone line infrastructure where wireless technology has really taken off. Most

This was Alexander Graham Bell's original plan. To a group of
scientists gathered in Philadelphia, he said "My device is pretty good,
but putting all those wires down will take a lot of time, effort,
copper, and money. I propose we wait 120 years and by then I'm sure
we'll be able to do this wirelessly. We'll save all that time, money,
and copper that installation requires, plus all the time housewives
won't be chatting about nothing all afternoon. A net win for everyone."
_History of A. Bell and the Telephone_ Richard Goodwin. Summit Press,
2012.

It's amazing how close their vision of the future turned out for some early inventors and writers. I remember reading a SiFi story written by one of the great writers of the genre where every man, woman and child had a small handheld device that connected to a massive central computer which they would consult whenever they wanted some information. This made it unnecessary for anyone to retain information or remember how to do anything. I wish I could remember the name of the author. Perhaps I'll use the small device on the table in front of me to consult a massive system of interconnected computers to find out the name of the author? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Future Monster