Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cellular

Default How well do cell phones really work?

Mayayana wrote:
Even though I read that watching a movie
| on the NJ turnpike didn't work so well, surely phone call coverage is
| complete??

It depends on where towers are, and the US
is a big country. I have relatives in NH/VT who
can't use their cellphones from home. Parts of
NJ are rural.
In cases I've tried to use my Tracphone in bad
spots in VT, which can use any of 3 networks,
I think, and it also gets no signal. The phone
company maps show lots of gaps in coverage, yet
I know they're overstating what they do cover
because their maps show coverage in areas
where I know there is none. So I'm guessing that
they fudge it by doing something like marking an
area covered if there's some coverage with, say,
20 miles.

I think that people living on their phones is mainly
an urban phenomenon.

You might be surprised. Farmers use theirs quite a bit.
They can order supplies, check the weather and markets etc.