Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Key copying in the 22nd century

On Sun, 31 May 2015 21:39:17 -0400, micky
wrote:

Made copies of keys at Home Depot a couple days ago.

Wow.

He puts the key in the slot and on the screen it says 66, the blank he
needs (for a standard Kwikset key).

Then he hands me back the key, and makes two copies without having my
key in his possession!!

Talk about computers or microprocessors!!

Tested them today. Neither fit, but it sure was cool.

I went back and the next guy went to the trouble of looking at the
copies and said one of the points wasn't there. I guess the first guy
didn't push the key in the slot far enough. What's the saying, If they
make something idiot-proof, they'll invent better idiots.

He made two on the fancy machine and one on the traditional machine (to
save time, I think Who would do that when he could have just pressed 3
instead of 2). Then he looked at the copies and said he could see a
dimple in the traditional one that wasn't there in the fancy-machine one
(What other HD clerk would do that. I haven't looked yet). They all
worked.

The second guy should really be doing something more challenging that
pays better. He's obviously more curious and smarter than the average
guy. He said his brother was a computer something or other, or majoring
in CS in college, but he didn't want to do that. I wonder if he is
paying the family expenses so his younger brother can go to school.
Maybe I should have said something encouraging but I didnt' think of
all this when I was there.