Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cellular
micky micky is offline

Default How well do cell phones really work?

OT for AHR, not for other ng.

How well do cell phones really work?

My niece graduated NYU a couple weeks ago, and standing outside Madison
Square Garden, using a cell phone, I could not reach her mother (who had
the tickets***), only her voice mail. She was probably inside by then.

But I could reach my niece, who was also inside by then.

Her mother could not reach me, although I later found 4 messages from
her from that time period on my voice mail. But she could reach her
daughter at the same time.

Her daughter could reach both of us.

How is this possible?

A couple days later, someone called me in the morning in Northern New
Jersey and reached me fine. But at 3:30 PM, when I was on the
southern end of the NJ Turnpike, or the Delaare or Md Turnpike, he
called again and even though I was wearing earbuds, I didn't hear it
ring. How is that possible? Even though I read that watching a movie
on the NJ turnpike didn't work so well, surely phone call coverage is
complete??

***(Finally learned that her mother had left the tickets with a security
guard.. If this had been something with a box office, I would have
expected her to leave them at the box office, but it didn't occur to me
that one could do this with security guards. Especially with all
those entrances, but there was really only one entrance for "The
Theatre". I think Eva was the one in charge, of about 10^^ or more, at
least she was the one who got to walk around, and she actually had them
in her hand when the first guard I asked pointed her out. That is,
ours were probably the only tickets she was holding. ^^They even
did metal checking to get in.) We were supposed to get them the
night before, and should have gotten them the night before that, to
avoid all this.