Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default {OT] Preventing Tracking, Blocking Ads, Stopping Malware, EnhancingFacebook, Managing Privacy Settings on Facebook and LinkedIn

On 6/2/2015 8:57 PM, wrote:
SMS wrote:

Some recent posts in other threads in alt.home.repair indicate that
there is some lack of awareness of the need for browser extensions and
applications to manage privacy.

I read all the suggestions by in this thread including those of SMS
and Mayayana in particular. While most are good ideas they all involve
huge amounts of effort which gets added to the maintenance one has to
do on a regular basis.

Actually there is little maintenance if done right. I have taken these
steps on my kids' computers (one who is off at college) and have made it
so they don't have to do anything.

I did pay for Malwarebytes because the paid edition lets you
automatically schedule scans. But it was only a few dollars per system.

Adblock Plus does not require any manual updating.

Ghostery does not require any updating though sometimes new trackers
need to be disabled it doesn't matter much if they get through for a while.

FBP automatically updates.

MSE automatically updates.

The one that needs manual updating is the hosts file, but again there's
no urgency. Doing it every six months or so is sufficient.