Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Measuring A/C Temp Solved, sort of...

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 16:24:50 +0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

At any rate, to replace the compressor is about $2500, which I could do,
as it seems everything else is running fine, and especially since I've
just replace the fan/capacitor. To replace the entire unit is about
$4500, but they suggest that if I replace the entire unit, I should also
replace the perfectly running furnace, since a new a/c unit uses the
newer 'freon', and they like to match that with the furnace. I don't

I like to match my date's lipstick with the color of my car, but it
doesn't make the car run any better.

understand this. But, to replace both a/c and furnace is about $10,000.
The a/c unit is about a 3.5 ton unit. I prefer to get by with the $2500
compressor, as I don't know how long I'll keep the house.

Any thoughts?

I don't know enough to comment on the compressor but as you know, the
furnace doesn't use freon. It's just their way of trying to get you
to spend more. Do techs get a commission when customers spend money?
At least more money than a simple repair? Probably.