Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What ever happened to the WORDS used in phone numbers?

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 10:43:44 AM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/01/2015 06:06 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

Offhand, I'd say it had something to do with data entry methods and the need for standardized data
in the early computer age. The poor early computers were quite literal when it came to I/O.
Imagine trying to input alphanumeric phone numbers into a modem or auto dialer. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Computer Monster

I've written such programs, and it wouldn't take much more work to have
it recognize letters. This was when memory cost so much people were
worried about such little bits.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Trying to find God is a good deal like looking for money one has lost
in a dream." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other
Essays_]

I was referring to the paper tape/punchcard era of computers. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Ancient Monster