Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What ever happened to the WORDS used in phone numbers?

On 06/01/2015 01:45 AM, wrote:
When I was young, phone numbers has a WORD at the beginning.
If you're over 60, you'll probably remember this:

For example:

Hilltop5-5555 = hi5-5555 which is 445-5555

[snip]

For awhile, I lived in an older part of a city, where old stores had
their number painted on the building as ED6- (a number starting with
336, and this was called the EDison exchange).

Most phones still have letters on them, but I know someone who was
trying to call the local PBS station (263-KERA) and had a phone without
letters.

BTW, Here, you're supposed to dial all 10 digits for a local call. That
started about 10 years ago and I still don't know anyone who's number
uses the new area code.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Trying to find God is a good deal like looking for money one has lost
in a dream." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other
Essays_]