Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Portable AC questions

On Sun, 31 May 2015 20:42:10 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 9:35:11 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
A single-hose unit uses air from within the room to cool its condenser,
and then vents it outside. This air is replaced by hot air from outside
or other rooms (due to the negative pressure inside the room), thus
reducing the unit's effectiveness. Wikip

Reduced it compared to what?

Compared to a typical central AC, window unit, or mini-split
obviously. None of those pull hot outside air into the house as
part of the cooling process.

If instead of air from elsewhere in my
house, it used air from outside, that air is hot too. Hotter than the
air in my house, at least during the day time, no? If it's below 72
outside, I'll open the window. (Yes, I know that lets the humidity in,
but I've been known to do it anyhow.)

Also the article distinguishes "Hose systems, which can be monoblock or
air-to-air, are vented to the outside via air ducts. The monoblock type
collects the water in a bucket or tray and stops when full. The
air-to-air type re-evaporates the water and discharges it through the
ducted hose and can run continuously."

Here's a place where they should be referring to reduced effectiveness,
right? Re-evapping the water has to be inefficient, yes?

Why? The heat used to evaporate the water is the very heat that
you're trying to pump out of the building.

Yes, I was confused about that. Sorry. I may read it again to find the
exact part that confused me, but that would probably bore all of you, so
I don't expect to report on it.

Ashton, you may be right about the electric costs, but if I only use it
for 8 nights, or even 15, that won't matter too much. . It's good that
you mentioned it for the sake of others considering using it all summer.
(Rebel was very happy with his but didn't comment on cost.)

Also, I have a friend who had one of these things to lend me last
summer, and he'll still lend it to me this summer. I guess the big
difference is that I've been having dreams that I'm hot, waking up very
hot, until I sit up and find that it's not hot in the room. If this
can happen when it's not hot, it may be much worse when it is hot. If
I'm wrong, so much the better.

One year I looked into going to movies during hot days, but it's never
hot in the basement, where the computer is now. And I've thought about
sleeping in the back yard, but I'm sort of hooked on the radio. I just
bought a Sandisk Clip Sport, and it has a radio and a timer, and plays
through earbuds, not a speaker that could bother my neighbor**.

**Although if it's so hot I'm sleeping outside, they'll all have their
AC on and windows shut.

Yes, some day I will replace my AC and my furnace (which works but is
old), but not this year. In fact I can't even get to the furnace
anymore. A week ago a rack I made near the ceiling 30 years ago fell
down, letting all the long thin things like rake handles fall on the
floor in front of the furnace. I have to dig through them to get to the
two pieces of rack so I can put it up again.