Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sinking post that will undergo lateral force

On Sun, 31 May 2015 12:39:28 -0500, wrote:

Hello,
I want to string lights along a wire on my back patio. The wire will be
connected to my house, and to (presumably) a 4x4 post that I need to
sink. I am looking for some guidelines for depth of the hole, the need
(or not) for a footing, etc. I believe the soil is simple, packed earth
for several feet.

This http://tinyurl.com/qbhbz65 shows a corner post for barbed wire
livestock fencing.
The corner posts have a lot of stress on them because the fence wire needs
to be tight. It's
with a fence stretcher before being fastened. This second picture might
be more what you're
after. It looks like a gate post for fencing.
http://tinyurl.com/q9ao9mq Burial depth is usually three feet or so in
my area.
I set posts to mount electrical panels. One trick to make the post
solid is to
pour dry gravel mix around the post. I tamp it with a ground rod since I
"always"
have one along.