Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] honda.lioness@gmail.com is offline

Default Re-Finish Cabinet Doors & Drawer Fronts; Paint Rest?

Thank you for sharing your experiences, dadiOh, Joe, Trader_4 and mayana.

They're maple but with "flat veneer center panels" per the spec guide for Aristokraft. Here is more info:
http://www.aristokraft.com/products/landen?prod={229ED164-C3F7-4310-8CC9-BC12903CBAE5}

The "Autumn" finish is what I have.

The cabinet sides do look like melamine. Also yes they are quite visible. Whatever I do to the sides needs to pass muster.

The cabinet doors all have these odd holes drilled in them, one per door, at an angle, about 1/8" diameter. It occurs to me that maybe this was done to prove that they are solid wood. The sides are provably particle board.

I did strip down the finish on four small drawer fronts. I cannot tell the wood type. Stripping was not too awful, and I have the summer off to mess with this.

If the cabinet doors have center panels that are veneer, I am thinking they are not going to strip anything like the drawer fronts, right? I am stuck with either re-veneering them or painting them, right?

I appreciate the tips about the gel coat; matching paint using a real paint store; contact paper; how even expensive homes end up with cheap cabinets; and all else.