Posted to alt.home.repair
Auric Goldfinger Auric Goldfinger is offline

Default Sinking post that will undergo lateral force

On 5/31/2015 1:39 PM, wrote:
Hello,
I want to string lights along a wire on my back patio. The wire will be connected to my house, and to (presumably) a 4x4 post that I need to sink. I am looking for some guidelines for depth of the hole, the need (or not) for a footing, etc. I believe the soil is simple, packed earth for several feet.

We don't know your
- soil conditions
- frost line
- the length of the 4x4 sticking out of the ground
- the tension/side load on your wire

A wild-ass guess, maybe use a 12' 4x4 and bury it 42" deep.