Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default would a 1 inch hole weaken rim joist?

On 5/27/2015 9:01 PM, IGot2P wrote:
On 5/27/2015 4:14 PM, Bill wrote:
On 5/27/2015 2:26 PM, Bob wrote:
An electrician drilled a one-inch diameter hole in my house's rim
joist while adding a new circuit. A half inch hole is sufficient to
pull the romex through but a larger hole is more convenient for him to
insert a conduit fitting into the sheet rock at
the end of the hole.

Would this one inch hole significantly weaken the rim joist?

You're probably ok as long as the electrician got a permit and had the
structural modification inspected.

Should I fill it with epoxy or something?

If you do, make sure you get a permit and have the work inspected.

You have to be kidding about a permit and structural modification
inspection!

If you're humor impaired, may I suggest reading the entire thread to
relieve any confusion?

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay up on the porch! g