Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Time Warner shared internet "up to" speeds

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 7:37:44 AM UTC-4, Art Todesco wrote:
On 5/25/2015 9:32 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 9:13:37 AM UTC-4, Art Todesco wrote:

I forgot one thing, someday maybe, the telcos might go the way of cable,
etc. and have only digital coming to you house on the copper pair, like
DSL or Uverse.

IDK what you mean here. The Telcos have been offering DSL, which is
digital, for two decades. That era is winding down, for the most part
as they move to better technologies for most customers.

Yes I agree and what I mean is basically quit using regular analog
phones and put the phones on the digital on higher speed carrier along
with the computer data. Of course once could do this using things like
Skype, but is not the norm for most people.

The VOIP is already with the internet data. That's why it's
called VOIP. For example, you get high speed internet service
from your cable company. They give you a modem/router that has
a phone interface built into it. The conversion to digital
happens at the modem/router box. The VOIP traffic then goes out on
the same internet cable connection as your other internettraffic.

With that model established and so many good, cheap, cordless phones
out there, I don't see the compelling need for changing things
and doing the conversion to digital at the phone, as opposed to how
it's done now. You'd have to continue to support the phones looking
for an analog interface for decades too, so you'd have two differing
ways of doing it, for no big advantage that I can see.