Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Time Warner shared internet "up to" speeds

On 5/23/2015 7:48 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 5/23/15 6:44 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2015 17:51:58 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

I live 400 yards from the telephone office. By looking at my modem's
user interface, I concluded that AT&T was deliberately setting me lower
than their advertised speed.

So is it true that Internet speeds from the phone companies depend on
how close you are to those central offices? And the price is the same
if you get 25 or 8?

Crazy

I believe so.

Yes, if you are over certain distances, they bump your speed down one
notch. In my case, I'm connected to a remote site just down the
mountain. I think I'm being bumped down to 3MB (from 6MB) because they
think I'm over 15K feet, which I don't believe, as you can see where the
cable runs by following their pedestals. BTW, they still charge the
same. Also, prior to Frontier buying the copper base phone system from
Verizon, the speeds where ok during the day or wee hours in the morning,
however, late afternoon and early evening were a disaster. The speeds
were slower than dialup. I complained and the guy in India (Bob) said
that I can't power the modem from an outlet strip; it must be plugged
directly in the wall. When Frontier bought the system, they had to add
lots and lots of bandwidth to make DSL work at close to advertised
speeds. Now I routinely get about 2.8MB down. I've got to give Frontier
credit, they've really fixed what Verizon couldn't or actually what they
didn't want to fix, because they knew they were selling off that part of
the business. Same goes for the batteries in the remote site. If there
was a power failure, the batteries might last for a minute and then
there was not dial tone. Frontier has fixed all that. Sounds like
Frontier it great? Not. I could, but won't go into all their problems.