Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical code question

On Sat, 23 May 2015 11:49:39 -0400, Bill wrote:

On 5/23/2015 9:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 9:08:10 AM UTC-4, Mayhem wrote:
On 05/23/2015 06:39 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2015 20:58:14 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

+1 Saving the cost of a single wire and an extra breaker isn't worth the
problems that can arise from using Edison circuits. He's dead. They should
be, too. (-:

--
Bobby G.

What "problems"? There are certainly advantages beyond saving 2 wires
per circuit. Not the least of which is voltage drop mitigation. (up to
50%). You also get to use smaller/fewer boxes. It is only a problem
for people who do not understand what they are looking at and they
shouldn't be fooling with them in the first place.

Statistically, multiwire/Edison circuits don't have a bad track record but I still wouldn't have one in my home. Not worth the risk.

The risk of what exactly?

Suppose you have a heavy resistive load on leg 1 and a light load on leg 2 and then suddenly lose the neutral.
What happens to the voltage across the light load on leg 2?
Would 230 volts smoke a small radio on leg 2?

How is that different than loosing the line neutral (which,
statistically is much more likely) Then EVERY circuit in the panel
will have extra high voltage on the lower load side, and low voltage
on the heavily loaded side/