Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_57_] Bill[_57_] is offline

Default Electrical code question

On 5/23/2015 9:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 9:08:10 AM UTC-4, Mayhem wrote:
On 05/23/2015 06:39 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2015 20:58:14 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

+1 Saving the cost of a single wire and an extra breaker isn't worth the
problems that can arise from using Edison circuits. He's dead. They should
be, too. (-:

--
Bobby G.

What "problems"? There are certainly advantages beyond saving 2 wires
per circuit. Not the least of which is voltage drop mitigation. (up to
50%). You also get to use smaller/fewer boxes. It is only a problem
for people who do not understand what they are looking at and they
shouldn't be fooling with them in the first place.

Statistically, multiwire/Edison circuits don't have a bad track record but I still wouldn't have one in my home. Not worth the risk.

The risk of what exactly?

Suppose you have a heavy resistive load on leg 1 and a light load on leg 2 and then suddenly lose the neutral.
What happens to the voltage across the light load on leg 2?
Would 230 volts smoke a small radio on leg 2?